Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Gramma Charchan's recipe. This was the first "family recipe" I made for my hubby, Shawn. I found it in his collection and surprised him with it, successfully!
- Wash and drain beans. Cover with water in pot (about 3 inches above the beans). Boil until tender (usually an hour). Keep watch on the water you may have to add more a they cook.
- In a colander drain and rinse Sauerkraut and then add to beans. Add the Barley. Boil another 30 minutes.
- Add onions and potatoes, and onion soup and boil until tender.
- While this is cooking make a rhue. In a small skillet put 3/4 c oil and 1/2 c flour. Cook until light to medium brown. Stir constantly.
- When potatoes and onions are tender add the rhue slowly stirring until mixed well. Heat a couple of minutes.