Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Make and share this Sauerkraut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse the sauerkraut in cold water and leave to drain.
- Place sauerkraut, onion, garlic and cold water in a large saucepan with seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the chopped bacon in a deep frying pan until the fat starts to run.
- Stir in the paprika and mix into the sauerkraut mixture.
- Return to a gentle simmer for another 15 minutes then add the dill and sausage of your choice.
- Stir in the cream, check the seasoning and reheat until just on the point of boiling.
- Serve with rye bread.
excellent recipe; very close to how my grandmother would make it. very good when when you add chopped potatoes, carrots, and celery.
We had a soup very similar to this at a place here in town one day, and I came home on a mission to find a recipe for it... this is SO amazing, and tastes NOTHING like you think in your head when you hear it's Sauerkraut Soup... try it, you'll love it!!
I love this! Funny thing - when I told my BF I was making this, he gave me THE LOOK and told me he was getting banh'mi as a "back up" just in case. Let's just say the sandwiches are in the fridge for lunch tomorrow because the soup was inhaled!! Made for ZWT # 6