Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is really good--REALLY. Try it, you'll be surprized!
- 1 lb smoked Polish sausage, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 potatoes, peeled,and diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed, optional
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (32 ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- In large pot, brown sausage pieces in oil.
- Add next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add sauerkraut and tomato paste.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Cover and simmer another 15 minutes.
I really, really enjoyed this tasty soup! It was a cold day today and it did the job of warming me up. I'm really giving it 4.5 stars. I'm anxious to eat it again! I sauted one green onion along with turkey Kielbasa and added a little more garlic. I used free-range chicken broth from cartons and organic sauerkraut. I left out the caraway seeds.
very good, just like anything with sauerkraut. I am sauerkraut lover and make my own.
I liked this soup. Very tasty. I like sauerkraut anyway. When I tried the soup after the recipe amount of time, I found the sauerkraut still tart, so I simmered the soup for another hour or more, and it mellowed quite a bit.