Sauerkraut Smothered With Pork Chops and Sausage
- In a large skillet or electric frying pan, cook bacon until it just begins to brown. Pour off fat, then add onion. Saute until onion is transparent.
- Stir in sauerkraut, carrots, brown sugar, chicken broth and wine.
- Tie up spices and herbs in a small bag of cheesecloth. Bury in the center of the sauerkraut mixture. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Diagonally score 1 side of each bratwurst. In a separate skillet brown the bratwurst and pork chops.
- After the sauerkraut mixture has simmered 10 minutes, add potatoes, working them down into the mixture. Top with browned bratwurst and pork chops. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add smoked sausages. Simmer, covered another 15 minutes.
- Remove pouch of seasonings before serving.