Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple salad goes great with pork chops or hot dogs. Submitted per request. Adapted loosely from Bon Appetit.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 (2 lb) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 3 sliced carrots
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 2 cups sliced cauliflower
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or 1 tomato cut into thin wedges)
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled (or 2 tablespoons bacon bits)
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, vinegar and oil. Bring to a boil over med heat. Reduce to low and simmer dressing for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Stir in celery seed and dill seed.
- Let cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except for tomatoes and bacon). Toss. Pour dressing over. Toss.
- Cover and chill.
- Drain salad before serving and add tomatoes and bacon.
To be fair I didn't add the tomatoes and bacon at the end and I suspect that this may be the missing spark that this recipe needed. Even without the bacon tomato it was still very good and I enjoed it along side a sausage/bean recipe. Next time I will add the ingredients I omitted this time - Thanks ellie 2 - I will make again