Recipe by Jules211
I had this salad at a Labor Day picnic many years ago. I had to leave with the recipe. Trust me even if you don't like sauerkraut you will love this recipe (o.k. like). It's sweet not sour like you would think. It goes great with BBQ. This reminds me of summer.
Top Review by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Only rinsed and drained once and it was very sweet and not tangy at all. hmmm Maybe the type of Sauerkraut used? I used Libby's crispy sauerkraut. Good salad but really wanted some of the tang. Would make again without rinsing at all.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup grated carrot (*)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (*)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pepper, any color (*you can mix in a hot pepper if you choose)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion (*)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1 light canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauerkraut drain and rinse (with water) squeeze excess water out.
- Taste as you go the more you rinse and the more you squeeze the more tanginess you lose.
- I usually do this 3 times (we like a little tang).
- In a large bowl mix sauerkraut, carrots, celery, onion, peppers.
- Mix well.
- In a bowl whisk together sugar and oil.
- Will be grainy looking don't worry.
- If to thick add a touch more oil.
- Pour over sauerkraut mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Note prep time does not include chill time.
- *You can use as much as you like, any combination works.
- You can use hot peppers with the green.
- I have a hard time measuring stuff for salads.
- I usually chop and dump.