Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I had this salad at a Labor Day picnic many years ago. I had to leave with the recipe. Trust me even if you don't like sauerkraut you will love this recipe (o.k. like). It's sweet not sour like you would think. It goes great with BBQ. This reminds me of summer.
- For the sauerkraut drain and rinse (with water) squeeze excess water out.
- Taste as you go the more you rinse and the more you squeeze the more tanginess you lose.
- I usually do this 3 times (we like a little tang).
- In a large bowl mix sauerkraut, carrots, celery, onion, peppers.
- Mix well.
- In a bowl whisk together sugar and oil.
- Will be grainy looking don't worry.
- If to thick add a touch more oil.
- Pour over sauerkraut mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Note prep time does not include chill time.
- *You can use as much as you like, any combination works.
- You can use hot peppers with the green.
- I have a hard time measuring stuff for salads.
- I usually chop and dump.
Only rinsed and drained once and it was very sweet and not tangy at all. hmmm Maybe the type of Sauerkraut used? I used Libby's crispy sauerkraut. Good salad but really wanted some of the tang. Would make again without rinsing at all.
My great-aunt made a salad like this, although it may not have been as sweet I enjoyed this one. May try it next time with a little sesame oil and spoonful of toasted sesame seeds. Overall a great recipe, everyone at the Canada Day Bbq. loved it.
This is so good! I wasn't quite sure what to expect but had some sauerkraut left over from another dish, so tried this and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a little sweet for my tastes as I really don't have much of a sweet tooth, so next time I would reduce the sugar a bit.