Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I haven't tried this one, but it sounds too interesting to ignore, so I hope to try this soon. It's a bread machine recipe, but I will make it by hand. From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking (Premiere Issue)
- 3⁄4 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer; select the basic bread setting.
- Choose light crust color and 2 pound loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions.
I love the moisture and texture of the dough. I was a little short on sauerkraut so I added a little chopped onion to make up the differenct. I didn't have rye flour so I used graham. It will be even better with rye!!!!! Nice First use as crust for ham/swiss pizza with Mango Ketchup (Mango Ketchup) as sauce. .
The beauty of this bread is that it freezes well. I use the bread machine dough cycle, then bake it in the oven, cool it, slice it and freeze it. It's a delicious rye with a slightly tangy flavor and adds a special touch to ruben sandwiches. Thank you Vino Girl.
This bread was out of this world! We only used 1/2 cup of rye flour. It had a perfect, light rye taste. I think next time I we are going to add more sauerkraut. My family is German so we LOVED LOVED LOVED this bread! A new Christmas tradition for us. I think I might even try this recipe and use all bread flour. Peace & Love