Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 20 mins
A german recipe from an old cookbook I have, in response to a request on the message board.
Make and share this Sauerkraut Pork recipe from Food.com.
- Place in a sauce pan, the sauerkraut, the ale, the brown sugar and the berries.
- Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours.
- Brown the pork steaks in butter or bacon fat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a deep enough baking dish, spread 1/3 of the sauerkraut.
- Place the pork steaks on top and sprinkle with the garlic.
- Cover this with the apples.
- Place another layer of sauerkraut, then a layer of potatoes.
- Top with the remaining sauerkraut and any cooking juices from the meat.
- Bake at 375F for 65 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, mustard, pickles and cold beer.
The only reason I'm giving this 4 and not 5 is that the potato layer didn't cook through properly although I left it in the oven an extra half hour which caused the top layer of kraut to get too brown, so I just scraped it as well as the potatoes off carefully, the dogs will enjoy it tomorrow as a treat. The flavour of the apple/kraut layer was fabulous. I used 3 lbs of spareribs that I cooked first, with a commercial rub (Some kind of Wonderful brand), and one cup of water, in a covered roasting pan for 1 hr and substituted them for the pork chops. I didn't have any juniper berries so I added about 1/4 gin into the sauerkraut with the beer to get that juniper flavour and I doubled the brown sugar as well and it worked quite well. I also forgot the garlic but it wasn't missed by us and we love garlic. I will definitely be making this regularly but I will either cook the potatoes first then grate them, or just omit them and add more apples in their place. This was REALLY GOOD! I used Fuji apples as that was what I had in the fridge to use up. DELICIOUS!