Recipe by Cheri B
Mom made this when we were kids. My sister and I still make it, for our families. Makes great use of leftover mashed potatoes. This is a recipe we have never measured, just by site, it is only 3 layers and easy!
- 1 -2 lb hamburger (or 1/2 beef & 1/2 deer)
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 27 ounces sauerkraut, rinse if you like
- 3 -4 cups prepared mashed potatoes, left-over's
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown hamburger, drain if needed.
- add onion, saute lightly.
- Mix in spices if you wish or do your own spice thing.
- take off burner.
- open Kraut and drain if you wish.
- spread sauerkraut top of hamburger, ya it is like raking hay, use your hands,do not over fill there is potatoes yet to go.
- Spread Mashed potatoes over the top, and to the edges, to "seal in", this will bubble. Cut with wet knife in center to vent steam.
- Add butter or marg on top if you wish.
- Bake 350 for about 45 min, or until top browns.
- Sis likes hers with bo-Mondy? this is a spice, Brother likes his with cheddar or mozzarella cheese melted on top.
- This is a one pan clean up, but you can do it in a deep cass. dish also.
- All ingredients depend on your pan size. This is easy to "make bigger", as more company comes in the door.