Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mom made this when we were kids. My sister and I still make it, for our families. Makes great use of leftover mashed potatoes. This is a recipe we have never measured, just by site, it is only 3 layers and easy!
- 1 -2 lb hamburger (or 1/2 beef & 1/2 deer)
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 27 ounces sauerkraut, rinse if you like
- 3 -4 cups prepared mashed potatoes, left-over's
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Brown hamburger, drain if needed.
- add onion, saute lightly.
- Mix in spices if you wish or do your own spice thing.
- take off burner.
- open Kraut and drain if you wish.
- spread sauerkraut top of hamburger, ya it is like raking hay, use your hands,do not over fill there is potatoes yet to go.
- Spread Mashed potatoes over the top, and to the edges, to "seal in", this will bubble. Cut with wet knife in center to vent steam.
- Add butter or marg on top if you wish.
- Bake 350 for about 45 min, or until top browns.
- Sis likes hers with bo-Mondy? this is a spice, Brother likes his with cheddar or mozzarella cheese melted on top.
- This is a one pan clean up, but you can do it in a deep cass. dish also.
- All ingredients depend on your pan size. This is easy to "make bigger", as more company comes in the door.
My family loves this!! So easy and really, really good. Thanks!