An excellent sauerkraut with amazing health benefits.
Make and share this Sauerkraut - Nourishing Traditions recipe from Food.com.
- In a bowl, mix cabbage with caraway seeds, sea salt and whey (if available).
- Pound with a wooden pounder or a meat hammer for about 10 minutes to release juices. You can also use your hands to squeeze the juices out of the cabbage.
- Transfer the cabbage and all of the juice in a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar and press down firmly with pounder until juices come to the top of the cabbage.
- The top of the cabbage should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.
- The sauerkraut may be eaten immediately, but it improves with age.