Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Since I grew up on sauerkraut in Sandusky Ohio where there is a large population of German families. Quite a few of mom and pop restaurants were around that had authentic recipes. This is my basis for western style ribs, brats, chicken or any other meat in the crockpot.
- 1 (32 ounce) bag sauerkraut
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat crockpot on low. Cut the top of the bag of kraut off and drain the liquid in the bag, do not rinse. Empty kraut into crockpot. Add all other ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve hot.
- This is excellent with brats, smoked sausage, ribs, chicken or by itself served with mashed potatoes.
This is some great sauerkraut! It very simialr to how I'm used to eating it - sweet and tangy. I'm pretty sure this would work just fine in the oven as well. It's awesome with any meat or without. I sprinkled some caraway seeds on top just because I love them on my kraut. Thanx!
This was excellent. very easy to make. I used homemade sauerkraut. will make again thanks for the great recipe!!