My friend Mary, a diehard Packer fan, shared this recipe. It's perfect for tailgate parties, potlucks, or family gatherings. You won't recognize the saurkraut at all. It has a wonderful sweet/sour chunky sauce with just a little kick to it. There are never any leftovers.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce French onion soup mix, package
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce (ketchup based, like Heinz, not the Asian chile sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (or use the chili sauce bottle to get all the bits left over)
- Mix first four ingredients and shape into 1 inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Pour remaining ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and bake at 350 F for 1 hour.
- Test one meatball (I know this is hard- LOL) to make sure it's done.