Recipe by JKompelien
What a hit! I encourage you to try this. This is one of our family favorites. I make this for potluck dinners and always get requests for the recipe and it's something different for the table. Serve with warm bread and homemade pickles and you have a meal that will warm you from inside out and best yet, hardly any ever left.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 12 ounces cream of celery soup
- 12 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onion.
- Drain off fat.
- Layer half of been and onion in 7x11 casserole.
- Cover with sauerkraut
- Top with remaining onion and beef mixture.
- Put uncooked egg noodles on top.
- Spread soups over noodles.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees, covered.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake an additional 30 minutes more.
- I often double this recipe for a 9x13 pan.
- Hint: Make sure you cover all your noodles with soup or they will be rock hard along the edges, bad for the teeth.
- Zaar won't allow the correct descripton of the sauerkraut, it calls for a 1 pound 11 oz can so I just computed to get the recipe to take.