Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A mild flavor. The potato thickens the sauerkraut and takes the edge off the sharp taste. Came off the Libby canned sauerkraut lable at least 20 years ago. Simple, easy to make and tastes awesome. For people who don't like the taste of strong canned sauerkraut. Goes great with hot dogs and brats.
- 2 cups sauerkraut, small can
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 potato, raw, large, peeled, and grated
- Use the small size ( #2 1/2) can of sauerkraut. Approximately 2 cups.
- Boil rapidly everything but the potato until most of the water is evaporated.
- Add potato, cover and simmer gently until potato is cooked.
- Makes 4 cups.