Recipe by Tante B
Vienna is home to the Naschmarkt, a famous open air market featuring...everything. There is one stand known to anyone who has ever been to the Naschmarkt for its Sauerkraut. If the owner likes you he'll take you aside & ask you how you intend to prepare it & then proceed to tell you the "proper way". I am posting this in response to a request & therefore do not have exact measurements for the soup & wine as I haven't made this since last fall but you really can't go wrong. It is truely authentic Viennese Sauerkraut!(The next time I make this I'll edit to be a little more exact)
- 1 kg sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- caraway seed
- 6 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 potato, peeled raw &,shredded
- 1⁄2 cup riesling wine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil.
- Then add sauerkraut, Carroway seeds, Juniper berries, bay leaf.
- Add enough soup so that there is enough liquid to let this cook for 30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add the raw shredded potatoe& let cook the last 10 minute.
- Right before the end you can add the wine& let it cook for a minute or 2.