Recipe by nitko
Ref. “Croatian piglet” and connect this meal with that one. In this recipe it is obvious Austrian connection, but, the secret is again in pig fat (lard).
- 500 g sauerkraut (sliced)
- 50 g bacon (dried, smoked, "pancetta" )
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 g juniper berries (dried)
- 1 g caraway seed
- 1 g native pepper berries
- 2 g lard (preferably, but oil can do)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put fat and sugar in a pot and melt sugar until it becomes brown.
- Add sauerkraut, wine, bay leaf, juniper berries, caraway seeds, finely sliced bacon and pepper.
- Cook at first covered 10 minutes and than uncovered another 15 minutes.Sauerkraut must be transparent and soft. Do not overcook it.
- Excellent with sausages, pork chops, pork legs, etc.