Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ref. “Croatian piglet” and connect this meal with that one. In this recipe it is obvious Austrian connection, but, the secret is again in pig fat (lard).
- 500 g sauerkraut (sliced)
- 50 g bacon (dried, smoked, "pancetta" )
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 g juniper berries (dried)
- 1 g caraway seed
- 1 g native pepper berries
- 2 g lard (preferably, but oil can do)
- Put fat and sugar in a pot and melt sugar until it becomes brown.
- Add sauerkraut, wine, bay leaf, juniper berries, caraway seeds, finely sliced bacon and pepper.
- Cook at first covered 10 minutes and than uncovered another 15 minutes.Sauerkraut must be transparent and soft. Do not overcook it.
- Excellent with sausages, pork chops, pork legs, etc.