Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Don't let the name fool you..had a piece of this at Waynesville, Ohio, sauerkraut festival..awesome pie...
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Drain kraut and rinse with cold water -- squeeze dry.
- Cream butter, sugar and add flour, cornmeal, eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat well and pour into two unbaked 9" pie crusts --
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
This is the perfect solution for those of us that are forced to eat sauerkraut on New Years while holding our noses. It tastes like a sugar cream pie. You can't taste the sauerkraut at all, but it keeps it very moist and rich. I also found this recipe at the sauerkraut festival in Waynesville, Ohio.