Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Since it is "KRAUT" month I just had to add this recipe. Oh, by the way, this still can be "comfort" food even with sauerkraut in it.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained well and chopped fine
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, salt and cocoa.
- Add dry ingredients and water alternately.
- Blend in kraut and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured bundt cake pan.
- Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes.
- Top with a powdered sugar glaze.
Definitely getting a workout using sauerkraut recently, & this cake from this recipe was a complete surprise ~ Very, very nice tasting, & that comes from a real chocoholic! Absolutely loved this dessert, & will be making it several times before the end of summer! [Made & reviewed while on tour in Germany with ZWT6]
This is a good recipe! Been around for at least 40 years. I used to tell the kids it was coconut so they would eat it, then they were addicted and requested it. Delicous. Serve with maple nut ice cream!