Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Even persons that do not like kraut just may like this recipe.
Make and share this Sauerkraut Chicken bake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, boneless,skinless breasts
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jarwine cured sauerkraut, well drained (Bick's is good)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- Melt the butter in a skillet& brown the breasts on both sides, remove& place in an oven proof dish Add to skillet onion, celery, carrot& garlic.
- cook until tender.
- Stir in the kraut, tomatoe sauce, brown sugar& parsley, mix well.
- Spoon mixture over the chicken and bake 375f, uncovered for apprx 45 minutes.
- Note: You may do ahead up to the final step and just refrigerate, bring casserole dish to room temp before putting in the oven.
Ah, another Bergy winner! This is some kind of dish! I followed your directions, and it turned out sooooo good. Served it with Dana's Easy Baked Potato Wedges, #49200, and we had ourselves a feast! Thanks for sharing a delightful recipe. Laudee
This is so good!! I served it with mashed potatoes and put the sauerkraut mixture on top of the potatoes. I could have just eaten the veggies without the chicken. Very good and simple to make. Thanks for a good recipe Bergy.
This was a tasty dish, If you are a real saurkrout lover, you will like it. I had a lot of the kraut mixture left over, so I sliced up some hotdogs, and placed them next to the chicken, and covered them with kraut- the hotdogs were very good.