Prep 12 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good way to win over someone who isn't a huge sauerkraut fan. Also good with ground turkey! Add a bit of thousand island dressing on the top and use corned beef leftovers from St. Pat's Day for a Reuben-style taste!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- Brown beef and onion; set aside.
- Mix sauerkraut and margarine, heating through; set aside.
- Alternate layers of beef, sauerkraut, and rice in a 1 1/2 quart deep casserole that his been greased.
- Mix milk, egg, and sour cream together and spread on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes uncovered.
I'm already a sauerkraut fan, so this recipe pleased me immensely. I like variety and this is a new taste for kraut. I wasn't sure on the layering, so I did beef, kraut, rice, kraut, then topping. I wanted to be sure the rice would cook, and it did. Thanks potatohead, I will be making this again! Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.