Recipe by tonyf56
Another one of my wife's recipe that I found in her box.
Top Review by flower7
Fabulous! I used refrigerated bagged sauerkraut (32 oz) and 4 cheese Italian sausages (18 oz) because they were what I could get. Also used granny smith apples. I found this recipe also on Taste of Home's website and they said to drain the sauerkraut. I followed your instruction to not drain it but I did leave out the water. Next time I might drain the kraut and add the water as the liquid was pretty "briny". Otherwise I loved this! Served with recipe #27898. Thanks for sharing! :)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (pork can be used instead)
- 1 large onion
- 2 apples
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut (or jar)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (if the kraut has the caraway seeds don't add)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice sausage into one inch pieces
- Chop the onion into 1/2 inch.pieces Cook sausage and onion until done drain. When the sausage and onion are cooking. Peel and core the apples slice into quarters
- stir in the apples, Sauerkraut, (do not drain the sauerkraut.),water, brown sugar and seeds
- transfer to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish cover and bake for 1 hour at 350°F.