Recipe by Kathy228
Here's a fast way to create European stuffed cabbage flavor and texture without stuffing each leaf. I use my own flavored-up cooked rice recipe; you can use any rice flavor, even Rice-a-Roni.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, cooked with
- 1 large bouillon cube, and
- 1 dash thyme
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 small cabbage, cooked, drained
- 2 cups sauerkraut, lightly rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cabbage (whole or sliced) 'til tender, paring off the thick "spine" portion on each leaf.
- Combine ingredients from cooked rice to pepper; set aside.
- Combine the tomato soup, tomatoes, water; set aside.
- Spray a casserole pan.
- Put 1/2 of the sauerkraut in bottom of pan.
- Then 1/3 of the tomato mixture.
- Then 1/2 of the cabbage.
- Then all of the meat mixture, spreading it evenly; sprinkle onions on top of that.
- Then another 1/3 tomato mixture.
- Then the remaining cabbage.
- Then the remaining sauerkraut and then the remaining tomato sauce; if desired, drizzle ketchup on top.
- Bake covered at 350 for one hour; remove lid and bake for additional 35 minutes; if you use a large shallow pan, reduce baking time accordingly.
- Let set for a least 1/2 hour before serving; provide sour cream for individual serving garnish.