Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 large potatoes (enough for 1 cup)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 7 cups flour
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed with cold water and drained
- 1 (2 ounce) package Lipton onion mushroom dry soup mix
- cayenne pepper
- Dough: Boil potatoes and mash. Keep lukewarm.
- Measure potato water and add water to make 1 1/2 cups. Pour into large bowl. Add yeast; stir to dissolve. Stir in sugar and salt. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, eggs and oil; mix well.
- Blend in 1/2 of flour. Work in remaining flour to make a dough easy to handle. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball and put in large bowl. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. (Dough rises in refrigerator). When ready to use, let stand at room temperature 1 or 2 hours.
- Filling: Crumble meat into heavy skillet. Cook until it loses red color. Drain off grease.
- Add rest of filling ingredients. Cool mixture.
- Roll bits of dough to 3 or 4 inch circles. Put heaping tablespoon of meat mixture on dough. Lap over to enclose. Let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
- Makes about 3 dozen. You can freeze and reheat.