Recipe by Timothy H.
I wanted to find a different way of making the balls so I gave it a try in the oven.You do not need to use all the crumbs, if you have some left over,give them to the birds. For those of you whom would rather bake than deep fry, give these a try.
Top Review by billiejo
This is by far the BEST Baked Sauerkraut Ball Recipe I've had. I have made sauerkraut balls for years, and although good, didn't like all the grease and wanted a healthier version. Here it is! The texture was great! A few raters didn't like the texture..here is the fix : use panko bread crumbs and spray each ball with cooking spray before you bake. The balls will bake evenly and turn out crisp every time! My recipe is very similar but not exact, so I used my standard recipe and baked them with this recipe. They turned out great and my family so appreciated the healthier version!
- 680.38 g package sauerkraut
- 29.58-44.37 ml hot sauce
- 226.79 g package cream cheese
- 118.29 ml onion
- 907.18 g sausage
- 59.16 ml breadcrumbs
- 177.44 ml breadcrumbs
- 59.16 ml parsley
- 29.58 ml prepared mustard
- garlic clove
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml flour
- 177.44 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage in a skillet,drain and remove. Brown onion and garlic until lightly golden.Set aside and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix sauerkraut and cream cheese at room tempture. Then add the parsley,mustard and pepper mixing well.After cooling add the sausage,onion and garlic to the kraut mixture.Let the mixture set over night,the longer the better.
- In a shallow bowl beat eggs and milk together.In a bowl next to the milk and egg bath.
- Mix the bread crumbs and flour together in a food processor or blender to get them very fine.
- Roll the kraut mixture into 1 inch balls. Dredge in the egg and milk bath, then roll in the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes uncovered or until lightly browned. Bake Uncovered.This will make 50 large and 100 small balls.