This recipe reads like a novel, but it's worth the work. It can be made ahead and frozen. It only takes seconds to defrost them for serving. My good neighbor gave me the recipe for this great "finger food". Cook time is for each batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sausage (I used low fat)
- 1 finely chopped Spanish onion
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained well and finely chopped in food processor
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 cup flour (approximately)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (approximately)
- 1 cup milk
- oil (for frying)
- 1Cook sausage until it's done and crumble up, remove from pan.
- 2In same pan cook onion until clear.
- 3Put sausage and onion in a large bowl and add the chopped kraut, sour cream, parsley, mustard, salt and pepper.
- 4Combine ingredients and chill until firm.
- 5After chilling shape mixture into balls.
- 6Coat in flour and then dip in milk.
- 7Roll in dry bread crumbs.
- 8Fry until golden.
- 9Cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerkraut Balls
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.7
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 585.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 5.3 g