Recipe by grandma2969
see if they can guess the "secret" ingredient...my husband is not a huge fan or sauerkraut..please don't tell him that there is sauerkraut is in here..
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large tart apple
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 -3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- in large bowl, beat eggs and sugars.set aside.
- squeeze sauerkraut after rinsing till dry.
- finely chop and add to egg mixture -- add oil and walnuts --
- combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and nutmeg.
- stir into egg mixture.
- line bottom of 2 8" round cake pans with waxed paper.
- grease and flour paper.
- pour batter into pans --
- bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or toothpick test.
- cool in pans for 10 minutes.then remove and place on racks to cook completely.
- beat cream cheese and 2 tbls cream in small bowl --
- add sugar, beat till fluffy --
- add orange peel.cinnamon and vanilla.mix well.
- add remaining cream if needed --
- spread between layers and cover entire cake.
- garnish with walnuts if desired --
- store leftovers in the refrigerator.