Kevin Young's Note:
A great recipe I remember my Czech grandmother making. I played around with it until it tasted familiar
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grate raw potatoes and drain.
- 2Add salt, eggs, and flour to grated potatoes and mix well (mixture will be fairly solid).
- 3Form dumplings into balls (desired size, I usually get about 20-25 good sized dumplings) and drop into boiling water.
- 4Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes making sure they do not stick to bottom of pan.
- 5Remove dumplings with a skimmer and set aside.
- 6In a large pan heat approximately 6 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- 7Add diced ham, caraway seeds, and pepper and allow to cook 10 minutes.
- 8Increase heat to high, add sauerkraut (drain about half the juice before adding) and mix well with ham.
- 9Allow this to cook for about 20 minutes stirring often.
- 10Add sour cream (the amount can definitely be adjusted to your taste) and mix well until creamy.
- 11Reduce heat to low, add dumplings and cover.
- 12Cook for 20-30 minutes stirring periodically.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerkraut and Potato Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 806.9
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 160.5 mg
- Sodium 3099.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 34.1 g