Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick, easy and low-fat vegetarian main dish for two. Packed with vitamin C, iron and fiber. I recommend using egg noodles, not pasta. The flavor will be rather bland then.
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 1 (11 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 7 tablespoons apple juice (100% juice)
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives or 2 tablespoons spring onions, finely sliced
- For noodles:.
- Bring salted water to boil and cook according to package directions.
- For sauerkraut:.
- Drain sauerkraut in a colander, and with the back of a spoon squeeze it out until rather dry.
- Optionally cut sauerkraut crosswise on a cutting board. It will be easier to mix and eat when using short noodles.
- Deseed bell pepper and cut into 1/8 inch slices.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat and fry onion and pepper until onion in transparent, 3 minutes.
- Add paprika, sauerkraut, apple juice and majoram. Stir to mix, reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for 5 minutes. Almost all liquid should have been absorbed. Otherwise cook open over high heat until almost dry.
- Taste with salt and pepper.
- For topping:.
- Mix sour cream with 2/3 of the chives. Reserve rest for garnish.
- To assemble:.
- Mix noodles with sauerkraut. Put on individual plates and top with sour cream. Garnish with chives. ( I mince a small part of the bell pepper for additional garnish).
- Note: If you can't get a small can of sauerkraut, the rest of a larger can will keep covered in the fridge for several days. German sauerkraut is mild. Taste yours. If it is very acidic rinse quickly in a colander under the tap.