Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I love sauerkraut but the rest of my family aren't fans, but even my family enjoyed sauerkraut cooked this way served with rye bread. Adapted from Slow Cooker Cooking.
- 1814.36 g sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (2 32-ounce jars)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise in half and then sliced cross wise into thin 1/4 inch half circles
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 7.39 ml caraway seeds
- 7.39 ml dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 juniper berries (optional) or 59.14 ml gin (optional)
- 453.59 g kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch round slices
- 473.18 ml white wine or 473.18 ml white grape juice
- 946.36 ml chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 3 bouillon cubes)
- Place the drained sauerkraut in the slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrot, garlic, caraway seeds, thyme, bay leaves, juniper berries or gin (if using) and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Place kielbasa on top of all.
- Pour in the wine (or grape juice) and broth on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.
I wanted to update my review to say that I have made this on the stovetop several times in the last two years, with half the sauerkraut called for, and sometimes other sausages. It is always delicious! I have prepared it in the crockpot a few times too. thanks for sharing!
Very simple fare that made the whole house smell wonderful all day! I cut all ingredients in half except for using a pound of turkey kielbasa. I used the juniper berries instead of the gin. Made for ZWT6 - team Unrulies Under the Influence! Thanks, teammate, for a great dinner last night!
Wonderful! The only thing about it that I didn't like was that there was more Kraut than there was Kielbasa. I was expecting more of a sandwich like filling and this wasn't it for the most part, the recipe is excellent though! DO NOT let me discourage you others. You WILL love this!