Recipe by ellie_
I love sauerkraut but the rest of my family aren't fans, but even my family enjoyed sauerkraut cooked this way served with rye bread. Adapted from Slow Cooker Cooking.
Top Review by Random Rachel
I wanted to update my review to say that I have made this on the stovetop several times in the last two years, with half the sauerkraut called for, and sometimes other sausages. It is always delicious! I have prepared it in the crockpot a few times too. thanks for sharing!
- 4 lbs sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (2 32-ounce jars)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise in half and then sliced cross wise into thin 1/4 inch half circles
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 juniper berries (optional) or 1⁄4 cup gin (optional)
- 16 ounces kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch round slices
- 2 cups white wine or 2 cups white grape juice
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 3 bouillon cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the drained sauerkraut in the slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrot, garlic, caraway seeds, thyme, bay leaves, juniper berries or gin (if using) and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Place kielbasa on top of all.
- Pour in the wine (or grape juice) and broth on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.