I love sauerkraut but the rest of my family aren't fans, but even my family enjoyed sauerkraut cooked this way served with rye bread. Adapted from Slow Cooker Cooking.
- 4 lbs sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (2 32-ounce jars)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise in half and then sliced cross wise into thin 1/4 inch half circles
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 juniper berries (optional) or 1⁄4 cup gin (optional)
- 16 ounces kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch round slices
- 2 cups white wine or 2 cups white grape juice
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 3 bouillon cubes)
- Place the drained sauerkraut in the slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrot, garlic, caraway seeds, thyme, bay leaves, juniper berries or gin (if using) and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Place kielbasa on top of all.
- Pour in the wine (or grape juice) and broth on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.