Goes great with sausages steamed in beer. My husband is always after me to make kraut, and this is one of the many ways I do.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse sauerkraut and wring dry.
- Heat margarine in a large skillet; saute onion and garlic until onion is tender.
- Add kraut, cider, stock, apples, and juniper; season to taste with salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Transfer to casserole dish; cover with lid or foil and bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 35-40 minutes.
I forgot to rinse the sauerkraut, so this was good but DH said it tasted like straight-out-of-the-can kraut. My fault though. I will make again and review it properly!
This is a fabulous recipe, I've made it several times and varied it a bit. Used a little gin with the juniper berries because they were old. Used ` 1/2 cup Calvados when I had no cider mixed with a little dry vermouth and more both. Each time it is wonderful and served with German sausages I have brought in from NYC. Brava!
This was a delicious recipe! LOVED the apples and it was the best way I've ever had sauerkraut! Thank you for this delightful mix. ZWT4