Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe that has been passed down from my in-laws.
Make and share this Sauerkraut recipe from Food.com.
- For every 5 pounds of shredded cabbage, add 3 Tbsp. pickling salt.
- Mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pack in a stoneware crock, stamping is down with a wooden spoon. This will form"juice" which rises to the surface.
- Cover with muslin or cheesecloth and tuck edges down against the inside of the container. Weight the cabbage under the brine.
- I usually use water filled ziploc bags, but make sure you double bag these so that in case the bag leaks, it won't get into the kraut.
- Store this in a cool (68-72 degrees), dry place. We use our basement. Formation of gas bubbles indicates fermentation is taking place. Remove and discard scum that forms each day. Fermentation is usually complete in 3 to 6 weeks.
- To Can: Wash jars, rings, and lids. Pack the sauerkraut into the jars to within 1/2" from the top. Add lids and rings.
- Place packed jars into a boiling water canner and cover with warm water to 1" above jars. Bring to a boil and start timing the process. Process pints 15 minutes and quarts 20 minutes.