Recipe by angelcent35
My great Aunt shared this recipe with me after I tried to can 32 quarts of kraut one year. I lost everyone to my recipe. The next year I tried hers and everyone went crazy for it. When I open the jar my family would come running to sample it. People preparing--this is truly a great traditional-style recipe. I didn't lose a single jar this way.
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and chop (or shred) cabbage. Pack jars tightly with cabbage.
- Add vinegar, sugar and salt to each jar.
- Pour boiling water into jar to cover. Place lids on jars tightly.
- This will be ready to eat in about 3 weeks. Stays fresh and crisp for years. No need to seal lids--the salt preserve the cabbage, some jars seal anyways.