Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found all allrecipes, originally from Taste of Home. Posted for ZWT IV, Germany. Prep time does not include overnight marination. Note that this says it's just for two.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 lb boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- hot cooked egg noodles
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; cool.
- Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and nutmeg; place in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add onion, parsley, bay leaf and cooled marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup marinade. Discard bay leaf.
- Place the beef and reserved marinade in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in raisins. Combine cornstarch and cream; stir into beef mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve over noodles.
ZWT4: This is delicious!! We love sauerbraten and this is a delicious dish in stew form!! 5 stars and 2 thumbs up!