Recipe by Hugce
If you have the yen for sauerbraten this quick dish will fill the bill. Another great recipe from mom.
Top Review by Payen
This sauce is very VERY intense. A little too intense for me. Good flavor. I made it with mashed potatoes. That seemed to lessen the intensity a little. Maybe next time, I'd use less beef bouillon clubes and a little less gingersnaps.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup gingersnap crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, onions, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and fry till browned in lightly greased pan.
- Remove meatballs and keep warm.
- Add 2 1/4 cups water to drippings in pan, bring to boil.
- Stir in bouillon cubes, sugar, lemon juice and gingersnap crumbs.
- Add meatballs and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Tastes good with wide noodles.