1/3 Photos of Sauerbraten in Crock Pot
20 hrs 45 mins
Boneless chuck roast makes the BEST "sour beef", since it literally "melts" in the gravy - and only needs to marinate overnight. My mom used to make REAL potato dumplings from cooked, riced potatoes, but Panni mix works well without the uncertainty of disintegration. I have found that commercial gingersnaps aren't what they used to be, carry very little ginger flavor, and does not thicken for gravy. A few years ago, I BEGGED Zaaries for a gingerbread cookie recipe, was given "Good Old Gingersnaps", Good Old Gingersnaps, which I have used since, but doubling the amount of ginger. Leftovers are great on noodles or bread. Cooking time includes marinating overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour pickling spice into a square of cheese cloth and tie into bundle with string.
- 2Combine vinegar, water, lemon juice, salt, sugar, onion, and spice bag in the crock pot.
- 3Add the meat and marinate in a cool place overnight.
- 4Cook all day on low heat.
- 5Remove meat and spice bag.
- 6Add crumbled gingersnaps.
- 7Whisk or stir until gingersnaps form a smooth gravy.
- 8Add gingersnaps as needed to thicken to desired consistency.
- 9Taste, and add additional salt and/or sugar to suit individual taste.
- 10Return meat to pot and cook a little longer, so that flavor of gravy penetrates meat.
- 11Serve with potato dumplings or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerbraten in Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.1
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 199.5 mg
- Sodium 1546.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 65.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: