Prep 96 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 4 lbs rump roast, beef, boneless
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 8 peppercorns
- 4 cloves, whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 10 gingersnaps
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- Place the beef roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl.
- Add onions, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf.
- Pour white vinegar and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered, for 4 days.
- Turn meat twice each day.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, dry it well with paper towels, and strain the marinade into a bowl.
- Reserve onions and 1 cup marinade.
- In a Dutch oven brown the meat on all sides in hot vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle meat with salt.
- Pour boiling water around the meat. sprinkle in crushed gingersnaps, and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn often.
- Add 1 cup of reserved marinade and cook meat 2 hours or more, until tender.
- Remove the meat and keep it warm.
- Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan.
- In a small bowl mix sour cream with flour.
- Stir it into the cooking juices and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Slice meat in 1/4 inch slices; add to hot gravy.
- Arrange meat on a heated plater and pour extra sauce over it.