Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is from The Unwatched Pot. Note refrigeration time.
- 5 -6 lbs rump steak or 5 -6 lbs pot roast
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 whole cloves
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup gingersnaps, crushed
- Combine water with wine vinegar, sliced onions, lemon and seasonings.
- Pour over meat in bowl. Cover and refrigerate 36-72 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Remove meat. Strain marinade. Reserve 1 cup.
- Place chopped vegetables in slow cooker. Place meat on vegetables.
- Pour reserved marinade over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 9-11 hours or on high 5 hours.
- Remove meat to carving board. Let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add gingersnaps to liquid in slow cooker. Cook on high 15-20 minutes. Serve with meat.