Recipe by carolinafan
Comfort food; for the crock pot.
Top Review by Gail the Chef
This is a fair recipe. The taste was ok, but 7-9 hours is way too long for cooking in a crockpot. After 5 hours the meat was falling apart. Added the sugar and crushed cookies, etc., and it quickly turned to looking like SOS. eee gods! The sauce was too thick because the meat melted in the gravy and the onions made it lumpy. I will try this again using cut up chuck, less cooking time to keep the integrity of the meat and will use onion powder. And I will add half the cookie crumbs. I'll review again.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion (2 medium)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine vinegar or 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 cups uncooked medium egg noodles (12 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup crushed gingersnap cookie (about 15)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3-1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onions, broth, vinegar and bay leaves.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 9 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, cook noodles as directed on package. Remove bay leaves from beef mixture. Stir in crushed cookies and brown sugar.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 15 minutes longer or until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Serve beef mixture over noodles, sprinkle with parsley.