Recipe by *Pixie*
These are good served over cooked egg noodles, mashed potatoes or rice. Great for a cold winter night...
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 large golden delicious apples
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup crushed gingersnap cookie
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup crushed gingersnap cookie
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core apples.
- Grate enough apple to make 1 cup.
- Slice the remaining apple into wedges (if desired put the wedges in water with a bit of lemon juice while cooking meatballs if you're worried about them turning brown.) Mix 1 c grated apple, ground beef, 1/4 c crushed gingersnaps, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper and thyme until well blended.
- Form into 1" to 1 1/2" balls.
- Spray a nonstick frying pan (the type with a lid) with cooking spray and cook meatballs over a medium heat until brown on all sizes and cooked through.
- This can be done in batches if required.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan (I usually put them on a plate with several layers of paper towel to remove any excessive fat).
- Add the beef broth, apple juice, water, 1/2 c crushed gingersnaps, apple cider, and brown sugar to pan.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add the bay leaves, apple wedges and meatballs to the pan.
- Stir to coat.
- Reduce heat to minimum, cover the pan and simmer 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until the apple is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.