This recipe appeared years ago in my local newspaper. The roast has to marinate 4 to 5 days in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Marinating the meat
- 3/4 cup red wine (choose a hearty variety)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 -2 onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 4 lbs beef roast, such as rump roast
Cooking the meat
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups marinade (from above)
- 1/2 cup water
Making the sauce
- 2 1/2 cups liquid (from the pot)
- 1/2 cup gingersnap cookie (finely crushed)
- 1In a large saucepan, combine marinade ingredients, bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool.
- 2Place meat in a deep bowl and pour marinade over; it should come about half-way up, if not, add more wine.
- 3Cover and refrigerate 4 to 5 days, turning twice a day.
- 4Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry.
- 5Strain the marinade, reserving the liquid and discarding the solids.
- 6In a large casserole, melt the lard and heat until it splatters; brown the meat on all sides.
- 7Remove meat and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- 8Add the onions, carrots, and celery; cook until they soften and begin to brown around the edges, about 5-8 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
- 10Stir in 2 cups of the reserved marinade along with 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil.
- 11Return the meat to the pot, cover, and simmer on low for 2 hours (alternatively, you can cook in a 350 degree F oven).
- 12Meat should be tender and offer no resistance when pierced with a knife.
- 13Transfer to a platter and keep warm while you make the sauce.
- 14Combine sauce ingredients in a small pan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- 15Carve the meat into 1/4-inch slices and serve with sauce drizzled on top.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.3
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 152.7 mg
- Sodium 181.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 49.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: