Prep 72 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Family favorite. A lot of work but well worth the effort! Use juices after cooking for gravy or make brown gravy. Excellent with bread dumplings and red cabbage.
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 lb lean rump roast
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄8 cup crisco fat
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Three days before serving combine vinegar, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, and beef with 3/4 cup water in large glass bowl.
- Set beef in mixture.
- Sprinkle onions and salt on top.
- Cover and refridgerate.
- Turn meat over each day.
- Day of serving: lift meat from marinade and pat dry.
- In large skillet, heat fat and brown meat on all sides.
- Strain marinade and add to meat.
- Then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and simmer for 2 hours until tender.
- Blend cornstarch and 2 tbsp water until smooth, then add to skillet.