Family favorite. A lot of work but well worth the effort! Use juices after cooking for gravy or make brown gravy. Excellent with bread dumplings and red cabbage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Three days before serving combine vinegar, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, and beef with 3/4 cup water in large glass bowl.
- 2Set beef in mixture.
- 3Sprinkle onions and salt on top.
- 4Cover and refridgerate.
- 5Turn meat over each day.
- 6Day of serving: lift meat from marinade and pat dry.
- 7In large skillet, heat fat and brown meat on all sides.
- 8Strain marinade and add to meat.
- 9Then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 10Add 1/2 cup water and simmer for 2 hours until tender.
- 11Blend cornstarch and 2 tbsp water until smooth, then add to skillet.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.7
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 76.1 mg
- Sodium 353.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 23.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: