Recipe by Mumma=^..^=
For those of you who've never had this, Sauerbraten is a German pot roast that is marinated in a vinegar mix ... it is sooo good, and was my favourite dish as a child. This is my Oma's recipe.
- 4 lbs beef, chuck roast, rump roast, round roast
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 4 whole cloves
- 5 sliced onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons drippings
- 3 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- .Rub the beef with salt and pepper. Place it in a covered dish. Heat the vinegar, water, onions, bay leaves, pepper, sugar and cloves together - but do not boil. Pour the heated mixture over the beef partially to cover. Cool, then cover with lid. Let stand in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days, turning daily.
- Melt the drippings in a pot or frypan, dredge the beef with flour and sear it quickly in the hot fat, turning it to brown on all sides. At this point I usually put it in the crock pot instead.
- Pour over the beef the vinegar mixture, diluting with water if it seems a little sour. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 2 or 3 hours unitl the meet is tender and the vinegar mixture is fairly well reduced. I do it in the crock pot on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the beef from the pot and keep it warm. Strain the liquid and skim off the fat. Thicken remaining liquid to form a gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes. Very good!