Recipe by fraukathy
A friend stationed in the armed services in Germany shared this recipe with me. The secret here is to marinate the roast for about a week or two. No shortcuts! Cooking times will vary depending on size and cut of roast. There is approximately 15 minutes of prep time in preparing the roast to marinate and 15 minutes a week or two later to prepare the roast for the oven.
- 3 lbs lean roast
- 6 -8 ounces red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon slice (2 if desired)
- 1 small onion
- 4 whole cloves
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the meat (rinse it off).
- Salt & pepper it.
- Place in bowl or ziploc bag.
- Add about 6 ounces of red wine vinegar then cover with water so it is up over the meat. Add lemon slice, 1 small onion (left whole or quartered), and 4 cloves.
- Seal it up & turn regularly (about every day) for 5 - 14 days to marinate.
- Take out of the mixture and pat dry.
- Place in a dutch oven with shortening and brown on all sides.
- Add some of the marinade from the bowl (about half way up on the roast to keep it moist & to add some flavor) and cook for 2 hours at about 350 degrees.
- Peek in every once in a while during cooking, and if getting dry, add some more marinade IF still during the first hour of cooking, otherwise add some water.