1 hr 30 mins
This is a traditional German dish I got off a website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place meat in a large container (NOT Metal).
- 2In a saucepan bring 1 cup water, vinegar, onions, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, and cloves to a boil.
- 3Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Cool marinade to room temperature.
- 5Pour marinade over meat.
- 6Refrigerate for 2 to 3 days, turning several times each day.
- 7Remove meat from marinade, and dry.
- 8Brown meat in hot vegetable oil in a Dutch oven. A.
- 9dd the tomato and marinade liquid.
- 10Cover and simmer gently 1 to 2 hours, until meat is tender.
- 11Remove meat from juices.
- 12Also remove peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaves.
- 13Mix flour and sugar with remaining ¼ cup water until lumps disappear.
- 14Add to pan juices and cook until thickened.
- 15Serve with boiled potatoes and red cabbage.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.2
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 181.4 mg
- Sodium 593.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 65.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: