Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a traditional German dish I got off a website.
- 4 lbs boneless beef roast
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cloves
- 1 cup wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place meat in a large container (NOT Metal).
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup water, vinegar, onions, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, and cloves to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool marinade to room temperature.
- Pour marinade over meat.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 days, turning several times each day.
- Remove meat from marinade, and dry.
- Brown meat in hot vegetable oil in a Dutch oven. A.
- dd the tomato and marinade liquid.
- Cover and simmer gently 1 to 2 hours, until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from juices.
- Also remove peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaves.
- Mix flour and sugar with remaining ¼ cup water until lumps disappear.
- Add to pan juices and cook until thickened.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and red cabbage.
Chef Kyle, this is an outstanding recipe. One of the best sauerbratens we have had. Didn't change a thing, and it was perfect! Served with red cabbage and potato cakes. Will definitely have again and again!