Recipe by Gingerbee
Originally Lillian gave this recipe to Mom and in turn, she became known for her delicious sauerbraten dinners... It's worth the work that goes into creating this wonderful meal. She served this with red cabbage ( Momma's Marinated Red Cabbage) and potato dumplings (much too much work for me so I make the potato mashed)!
- 3 lbs boneless beef round rump roast or 3 lbs bottom round steaks
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar (white or cider)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 8 ginger snaps (crumbled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Three days in advance: Trim excess fat from roast, put into a large bowl, set aside.
- Marinade: In a saucepan on the stovetop, combine water, vinegar, onion, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf and bring to a boil; set aside to cool.
- Pour cooled marinade over the meat, cover and refridgerate for 3 days, turning meat often during the day.
- Day 4, remove meat from marinade and set marinade aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in dutch oven and brown meat on all sides slowly.
- Add marinade (which was drained) to the meat, cover and cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat from pan after cooking, keep warm.
- Gravy: To the cooking liquid, add raisins, gingersnaps, and cook until it thickens.
- Remove bay leaf from gravy.
- Slice meat and cover with gravy.