Recipe by katie in the UP
I don't know if it's really German version or not...but we like it! Prep time does not include 48 hour marinating time!
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 carrot, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1 celery rib, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium onions, sliced (approx 2 cups)
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 (3 lb) rump roast
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup gingersnap crumbs (approx 12 cookies)
Directions See How It's Made
- In med saucepan, combine the first 8 ingredients; bring to boil. Place roast in glass bowl. Pour hot marinade over; cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning meat twice each day. Remove roast, reserving marinade; pat dry with a paper towel. In a dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in butter. Strain marinade; discard veggies and seasonings. Add marinade to dutch oven. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups of pan juices to a skillet; add water and sugar, bring to a boil. Gradually dissolving sugar. Add gingersnap crumbs; simmer until the gravy thickens. Serve with sliced roast.